What does treatment involve?
- Injury treatment: assessment of posture, movement and muscle strength to identify the root source of injury, pain or discomfort in order to treat that and not just the symptoms of your issue
- Regular or periodic maintenance treatment: great for keeping on top of minor muscular aches or joint issues before they turn into full blown injuries or pain. Useful for staying flexible and maintaining good posture. Also helpful for managing pain from chronic conditions. For the committed athlete: regular sessions are an excellent addition to your training regime to help maintain good biomechanics and optimise muscle power and recovery
- Pre or post event treatment: tailored to get you in the best shape for competing for an event, or to help you recover as effectively as possible so you can get on with your next challenge
- Techniques used during treatment: deep tissue massage and advanced soft tissue techniques which work into the muscles, tendons, fascia (connective tissue) and across joints. These variously reduce muscle and joint pain or stiffness, rehabilitate injuries, build strength, improve flexibility and get the body moving more freely
- Information and advice: stretching, strengthening and exercise/training advice. Information about how to aid recovery when you sustain an injury or how to minimise pain from chronic conditions. I can also suggest ways to prevent pain from repetitive actions or sustained positions either in sport or from sitting at a desk, using a computer and driving.
For a more detailed explanation of exactly what a session involves please read the PDF "What to expect during and after treatment"
As well as having your pain, issue or injury treated appropriately you'll also experience the additional benefits of sports and remedial massage:
- Increased flexibility, body awareness and control over your own movement/posture
- Improved circulation which boosts recovery by delivering essential nutrients to the body's tissues
- Improved digestion, relaxation & sleep through stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system.
Some of the injuries and conditions I can help with:
This list is not exhaustive but gives you an idea of the types of issues I can help with:
Muscle strain (torn muscle); ligament sprain (torn ligament); tendinitis; plantar fasciitis; medial tibial stress syndrome (a type of shin splints); iliotibial band syndrome; patellofemoral pain (runner's knee); piriformis syndrome; sciatica; frozen shoulder; shoulder impingement syndrome; thoracic outlet syndrome; tennis elbow; golfer's elbow; carpal tunnel syndrome; trapped nerve.
General aches and pains:
Low back pain; shoulder pain; neck pain; buttock pain; general joint pain.
Often these are linked to postural/biomechanical issues which I can help improve.
Osteoarthritis; rheumatoid arthritis; fibromyalgia; myofascial pain syndrome; parkinson's disease; dystonia.
Please note that I will ask you extensively about your medical history and may ask for permission from your GP, consultant, osteopath, physiotherapist or other relevant healthcare professional before undertaking treatment.
Referral to other professionals
I have links with a range of healthcare professionals so can refer you to a trusted contact if I think they could provide complementary treatment or are ideally qualified to deal with your issue.
Not only is Viv thorough, identifying the problem area quickly, she cures it quickly too. Also included is a relaxing and friendly service
Thanks to Viv I've regained feeling and control in one of my legs that I hadn't had for years due to an old back injury
JH, I.T. Consultant